Tuesday, August 25, 2009

This is your world...

The text of the title to this post is a new phrase I employ in conversation. It is often what I say to my wife in her many moments of uncertainty and/or indecision. Often I follow the phrase with the chorus from Wu-Tang Clan's "It's Yours", or I say, "...well, really, its mine, but you are a VERY important part of it."

This is your world. What are you going to do with it? Are you going to chop its head off and eat its eyes, or will you serve it so closely that it resents you? How will your world taste? Always? Will your world give you good parking spaces on holidays? Will it make you quesadillas late when you're drunk? Will your world be worth today?

The only complaint I have about my world is also one of many points of celebration: the world is so rich in sensuality that it can be distracting. Sometimes I wish the world would tone it down, be composed of less, so that I could appreciate fewer phenomena more deeply.

Sometimes the world feels so incredible/terrible that we do not recognize how incredible/terrible it is. This is when we know our world is real, when it is too real to realize.

2 comments: